2/24/2005

Puke Suka

Youth activities are scattered again. I’m a positive person, but not optimistic enough. I knew this would happen. Now I said scattered, but not chaotic – that is progress. I’m remaining fairly active so no worries right now.

I was approached by a 50 year old woman in my village who had the desire to improve her English. I was glad for the opportunity and agreed to meet with her on a weekly basis. She is always this character that searched for humor and avoided any seriousness. We’ve began to develop a friendship and I’m now able to see another side of her. She is the mother of 14 children (gave birth to 7) and recently found out she has diabetes (puke suka). Puke (sick) + suka (sugar) = sick from sugar = diabetes. This language does actually make sense some times. Due to this diagnosis she has a desire to get a little daily exercise. We’ve started walking every morning at 6 AM. It kind of a peaceful time and with the wind blowing it doesn’t feel so hot. This is also a time to practice language skills. We walk to the next village speaking English and return speaking Tongan. A good compromise I’d say.

I made an overnight trip to Hunga, an outer island here in Vava’u, to visit another volunteer and help out with his youth group. The boat ride took about two hours and the seas were a little rough. Once on the island there is a huge mud hill to climb before reaching the village. Once on top it was a beautiful sight to see. No roads, just walking paths everywhere. I lost my flip-flop on the way up the hill, but it didn’t really matter once in the village. I just had to watch out for all the horse, pig and dog poop. The meeting went well and I slept at the town officer’s house. I ate the best fish before having a solid night sleep. In the morning I caught a village boat back to shore and returned to a busy (okay not really) day on the main island. I don’t know if I could manage on an outer island. I mean it is calm, peaceful and relaxing – but that also means there is nothing to do. I at least have the option to go to the office and feel like I have accomplished something. I can go to get a bite to eat in a desperate moment. I just have more options. It’s all perspective because if I think about how many options I have now compared to back in the States – it’s enough to have me crying in a bowl of Cincinnati Chili.

I decided to have a little cultural exchange moment.
I brought ice-cream and rootbeer over to my friend Tevita’s house. I sat outside and made rootbeer floats for the entire family. The smiles were incredible and I think I got them hooked on a new treat. I have to say that I enjoyed myself immensely.

I want to say an official
HAPPY BIRTHDAY to Derek and Dad.
I’m thinking about you.

All my love,
Adrianne

1 Comments:

At 3:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Adrianne,

I was so happy to meet you (and Sue) at the Back Packers in Neiafu while my husband and I were visiting Jessica. We had a wonderful time at the Blue Lagoon on Foe'ata, and as you were describing Hunga, I was actually able to know the place (or at least the island) that you were talking about. I really enjoy your journal. You have such an optimistic attitude, and that is so very important! Keep up the good work (you are making a difference)and take care.
Jill (aka Jessica's Mom)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home