12/07/2004

Fakamalohisino

I feel like I've been in a whirlwind. So much to say, but never enough time.

I guess I'll start with defining fakamalohisino = exercise.
Malohi is strong and sino means body - Add it together and it makes great sense.
The females in my youth group are training for netball season. Although I'm not a fan of the sport I feel it is my duty to participate in the activities. We had a meeting and I was elected treasurer. I figure I can speak the language of money so this is a job I can gladly handle. Then we discussed starting an exercise program in the mornings. I was excited to hear their enthusiasm and told them to stop by my house in the morning when they got started.
I was awakened to my neighbor saying: 'Ateliana - 'Ateliana.
I answer: Ko au.
He says: Fakamalohisino
This was at 4:30 in the morning mind you. I was in shock. My youth show up 1 1/2 hours late to a meeting, yet they are at my door at 4:30 in the morning. Go with flow, right? We run around the field and do a series of sit ups and push up before heading back to someone's house for bread and tea. Food is a center piece of all activities. I slide back into bed at 6:30 and surface around 9:00.

We had a Christmas party for the Alunga disabilities group last week. I was full of good cheer the entire day. The dancing, eating and gift giving made for an amazing time. They really brighten up my days.

The gossip has struck my village in full force and I almost drowned. I started talking with a guy in my village and the next thing I new an announcement was made at the youth meeting about our "relationship." I was unaware of this so called relationship and it's relevance to everyone else. My peace corps advisor was brought into this gossip and I had a lot of cleaning up to do. I also received a 20 minute lecture from my homestay father about relationships and the importance of marriage. I'm 27 years old and I was made to feel like I was 12. As my peace corps advisor stated so nicely, "Welcome to Tonga."

After this frenzy at home, I was excited for my little get away. I'm now in Nuku'alofa (the capital) and trying to relax and catch up with the other volunteers. Oh - I got to see the Queen at the airport. It was pretty uneventful - but funny to see her fly commercial. Nuku'alofa seems so big to me right now. I can't imagine what it will be like to go back to the States. I'm already in stimulation overload.

Miss you all,
Adrianne

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home