11/30/2004

Puke fakatevolo

Puke Fakatevolo is directly translated as “sick like the devil” or possessed. Since I learned this word two weeks ago I have heard it in many contexts. One night I was sitting in my house talking with a few youth when I heard some screaming. A stampede of children ran by my house yelling "puke fakatevolo, puke fakatevolo". Apparently one of my neighbors, a 23 year old girl, was possessed. She was screaming, wailing, and trying to vomit. It seemed to be a big show for the entire village to watch. I stayed in my house. A discussion started where I learned that my sister was struck with puke fakatevolo a few months ago. This was the incident I described on an earlier post when she was beat by her mother and then ran away. I found out that the village had no other explanation for her behavior except that the devil made her do it. I personally think she was tired of getting hit and needed to get away. I also learned that only women are struck by the devil. We women have it tough.

I have a bruise on my bottom from who knows what. I must have bumped it or ran into something. Anyway, I was talking with another of my sisters the other night and she was convinced that I was bit by the devil for doing something bad. I tried to explain to her what causes a bruise, but she could not be swayed. I tried to think of all the things I could have done for the devil to want to bite me, but I couldn’t come up with anything. I guess I am going to live in a state of ignorance.

On a brighter note, Thanksgiving was amazing here. I’m happy to have other volunteers around to celebrate ‘palangi’ (foreigner) holidays. We ate turkey, devoured a pumpkin pie and watched a recorded copy of a football game. As close to home as I think we could get. I hope everyone’s celebrations were just as great.

Two weeks ago boxing matches have started here in Vava’u. Now this is a sport that is loved by Tongans. They enjoy seeing people get hurt and then laughing hysterically instead of showing concern. I find my enjoyment by just watching the crowd. I also like to cheer on any of the athletes that I know. It really has been a fun way to spend a Friday night.

This week begins Christmas parties and also a stop-to-work as I know it. December is time to spend with family and with God. I’ve been told that nothing gets done during this season. I’m kind of glad to get a little break by heading down to the capital, Tongatapu. I have some additional training I need to get done as well as attend an All Volunteer Meeting. It will be nice to see everyone from my training group. I’m also starting to make my plans for Christmas so I will let you all know when I get them set in stone.

Adrianne

1 Comments:

At 5:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you Adrianne for your updates. I really enjoy reading them. You are a very gifted writter. I encourage you to take lotes of notes and who knows, one day a book might be in the works. Jeanne and I think of you often and look forward to your updates. Be assured that as we prepare for the Christmas season you are in our thoughts and prayers.
Love and Peace
Uncle Pieter

 

Post a Comment

<< Home