10/05/2004

Sanity Returns - A Campout and a Picnic

The camping trip accomplished what it was meant to help with – my sanity has returned. Twelve of us traveled out to a little private island called Nuku, which is about an hours boat ride away from the main island. The family that owns the island was very generous on letting us stay there and using some of their facilities. We ate chicken, hot dogs, fish, papaya, home made cookies, and drank coconut milk - and I loved every minute of it. I slept in my hammock under the stars and the coconut trees while others took to the tents. On the ride home the following day we stopped at swallows cave, where we swam and snorkeled. I'm in love with these islands.

I'm attending a different church in my village every week. This week was the Free Tongan church, which happens to be the smallest one in my village. We sat on mats on the floor and my neighbors sang beautiful hymns. I have never felt so relaxed during a service. Church is my time to zone out and just relax because I can't understand anything that is being said. I just stand when everyone else stands and bow my head when everyone else bows. It seems that cultural adaptation is basically "follow the leader." Following church I had a wonderful talk with my parents. This cell phone is definitely coming in handy.

Monday my youth wanted to take me on a picnic over on the next island. I'm thinking – Great a picnic!!!! Okay, not the picture that pops in most of your heads, but better. Ten of us waded across the water carrying sacks of "stuff" to a small deserted island. Once we get there everyone takes off in separate directions to start prepping for the picnic. Some grabbed snorkel gear and spears and head to the water. Others headed into the bush to climb the coconut trees for drinks. One guy was on fire duty and dug an umu to cook the ufi (root). I took an empty bottle with some fishing wire around it and attempted to add my donation to the meal. I failed, but no one seemed to care since I brought the cake. I can't begin to describe the efficiency in which everyone worked. Once the food was cooking we played games of tag and sand fights on the beach. I didn't think that at 27 I would still be enjoying such elementary games, but I guess you're never too old. I tried some new delicacies during this little picnic. I ate the heart of a blowfish, I tried eel, and ate vana (which is a black shellfish covered in spikes). Delicious!!

Housing – what can I say about my house. I've had a meeting with Peace Corps and my youth president in Okoa. In this discussion we established that my youth group does not have enough money to fix up my temporary house. We agreed that I would spend the next week doing more fundraising and then I would go purchase the needed materials. The goal: I will be in my new home in three weeks. Remember this is not my original home – this is my temporary housing. My original home won't be completed until around December. Okay, enough said for now.

Adrianne

1 Comments:

At 1:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Adrianne, It is really interesting reading all your posts and ten looking at your photos. You are doing a really good job of giving us somewhat of an idea of what you are going through. Keep up the posts and the photos.
Gillian

 

Post a Comment

<< Home