9/13/2004

Patience and Flexibility

My shopping is complete (all the basics).
I have enough to cook a simple meal, wash some clothes, take a bucket bath, iron my clothes for church, and ride to work (including my helmet). All the rest will come with time. My boxes are loaded on the boat and hopefully I will see them at the other end. I'm taking my important documents such as letters from home and pictures on the plane ride with me. That way if the boat sinks, at least I have my most important things. The plane leaves bright and early tomorrow morning. If it is anything like the last hopper flight, I'll be in for a rough landing. Good thing I warmed up on the roller coasters at Kings Island before leaving Cincinnati.

When I signed up for the Peace Corps, I was told I need to be patient and flexible. That is surely being tested these days. Tongans are famous for their lack of punctuality and slight twist upon the truth in order to make you happy. These two qualities have caused me to run in circles and smack into walls. The story on my housing has changed daily and I am slowly learning to adjust and go with the flow. This morning I sat upon my pile of bags waiting for three hours past the assigned pick up time. This is only the tip of the icebergs of life here in Tonga. Soon I too will begin to keep people waiting and telling tall tales to make others happy. I am determined to adapt to this culture if takes everything I have. I have been told by other volunteers that it is possible to adapt, but Do Not try and understand.

Once in Vava'u, I will have limited access to the internet. Currently I am allotted 1/2 hour a week of access. I will try to write posts in Word and cut and paste quickly. If I get desperate I can always pay at an internet cafe, but they tend to be rather pricey. The point is, that I will continue to update you all of my adventures or lack there of.

I've added the links to some of my fellow volunteers' blogs. Please have a look when you have the time.

Love you all,
Adrianne / 'Ateliana

1 Comments:

At 12:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dave's Blog is the BEST! He posts every day, I guess cause he's in Computers. luv, mom

 

Post a Comment

<< Home