7/11/2004

Safe Arrival

I'm here!!!!!!

Stepping off the plane I realized that I am so very fortunate. Not only because of the wealth and and life I had back in the States, but b/c of the opportunity I have here. This place is so beautiful, the people are amazingly friendly, and the Peace Corps has been great. We are now managing through Pre Service Training. Everyone says that this is a difficult time b/c they rush through so much information, but I'm feeling pretty good. I heard volunteers gain weight during training and then lose it all when they go out in the field. This is b/c they stuff us full of food and then we have to cook for ourselves during field. We leave for our home stays tomorrow. We will actually do two separate homestays. One with a group of volunteers, the other by ourselves.

I feel like I have so much to say, but not nearly enough time to say it all.
I have experienced two Kava ceremonies. (Relaxing)
I have had incredible feasts. (You Vegans wouldn't last and hour)
I have met great people.
I have slept little and woken up to the neighbors rooster every morning at 4:00 AM.
Showers are freezing cold, but at least I have access.
I ate octopus.
Today I have opened my bank account and am getting an ATM card.
There are only two ATM's on this island and none on the others.
We are going to an outer island in two weeks for our second home stay. I think it is in the Va'vaua grouping. I think it is about 8 to 10 hour boat ride.
Okay I need to go.
I'm at an internet cafe, but I have to get back to training.

Love you all,
Adrianne

1 Comments:

At 11:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Got the keys. Thanx, mom

 

Post a Comment

<< Home