7/04/2004

Tonga or Bust

Feelings of excitement and nervousness have overtaken my body.
I am very much living in the present moment. This combined with 20 second freak outs of "what am I doing?" that occur randomly. These have occurred while driving alone in my car, while playing cards with friends, while taking Shang on hikes in the woods, while saying, "see you later" to friends and family. I do however realize that joining the Peace Corps is the best decision for me at this time in my life.

I have been brainstorming with the notion that serving in the Peace Corps is either a selfish act or a selfless act. Everyone approaching me has stated such things as, "I commend you for doing something so wonderful." People feel that you have to be a very giving person to be able to share time and energy for this cause. I, on the other hand, have been feeling very selfish. I chose to volunteer to expand my own knowledge. To help me grow into more of the person I desire to be. I realized I was making many I and Me statements. Then I came to a place where I realized it is possible to be both selfish and selfless. I no longer feel guilty for my reasons behind joining. I have come to terms with many things these days.

I have many thanks to say these days:
Thanks you Pieter and Jeanne for such a wonderful weekend. It is an amazing feeling to not see someone for a long time, but still feel so comfortable and relaxed while in their presence. I guess that's the joy of family.
I want to thank everyone for coming to my going away party. I had a blast and you all will be greatly missed. I have the best family and friends.
Thank you Joel, Gillian, and Anna for a great time at Kings Island. It was a great surprise that means a lot to me. You guys rock!!!!
I also want to say a special THANK YOU to my parents. I wouldn't be who I am or doing what I'm doing without your guidance and support. I know that sounds a little cheesy, but it's the truth.

Okay, now logistics.
I leave Wednesday for LA. Then Friday it is off to Tonga. The anticipation is almost unbearable. I will miss you all. I will try to write often.
See you on the internet!

Nofo a
Adrianne

1 Comments:

At 12:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Enjoy your remaining time in Cincy. Maybe I'll see you this week!

Peace....Jeanne

 

Post a Comment

<< Home