8/26/2004

Time to Celebrate

I couldn't have asked for a better day. Another volunteer, JoAnn, woke me up so that we would be the first to welcome my birthday. We stood on the little Okoa bridge and saw a beautiful sunrise. I feel like it is the luck of the draw that I got placed in such a beautiful place. I hope during my two years here that I never take for granted the coconut trees, the sun rise/set, and the starry nights. When I saw the sky I couldn't get the song "Sunrise" by Norah Jones out of my head. It fit perfectly. It was then off to Makave for class with the entire training group. I celebrated with Neil (who has my same birthday). We had awesome cake and a short day of class. I sat in the telephone room at the town hall talking to Mom and Dad for an hour (Thanks - I needed that). It feels strange to replay events that take place here because I don't feel like I give this place justice. I want everyone to visit because then you could see for yourselves how beautiful it is here.

Around 5:00 we played games with the village youth out on a field by the town hall. We had a great time playing dodge ball, volleyball, relay races, tug of war, and a balloon toss. The music was blaring and all the kids were smiling. We then pitched candy at all the kids and they went crazy. That put a smile on my face. Once it got dark it was time for my birthday feast. I wore a huge wrap of flowers around my neck that my family had made for me. We ate at the town hall on mats on the floor. We were lined up in two long rows. It is generally just the women and children along with a few prominent men that eat the first round of a feast. We all gave speeches during the meal and I was beyond touched. I felt so honored to be sitting with such wonderful people. I have loved this homestay experience. I have never felt so welcome in a new environment. I was given a huge tapa, two necklaces, 2 bags of candy, Mele (my quiet Aunt that speaks no English) made me a woven serving tray, and 4 year old Nolo (my favorite cousin)and his family made me a huge mat. They put so much work into these crafts. They are what I call gifts from the heart.

Now for the news I have been waiting to hear. My location for the next two years will be in the Village of Okoa in Vava'u. Yes, that is where I have spent the last month in my homestay. It is really uncommon to have your site be the same place that you homestay, and I am completely happy. They have been building a youth center in the village with an apartment on top for a PC volunteer. I had been networking and trying to ease my way into the location - and now it is official.
I'm in the capital of Nuku'alofa for the next two weeks finishing up training. I then have to do some shopping to buy some basics that I'm not able to get up in Vava'u. Then I ship my stuff up on the Olavaha boat. I catch a plane, meet my stuff, and settle in to my new abode. Oh - I might have to do a few more weeks of homestay if my home is not done being built. That will be a little difficult because I am so excited to have my own place, but it might also be good to network with more members of the community.
Okay, I'm signing off. Just know that I am extremely happy and miss you all dearly.
Love,
Adrianne

2 Comments:

At 12:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Adrianne, I just returned from a business dinner, and checking my night mail got to one Mom wrote detailing your news. I am so very thrilled and excited for you. I have no doubt that you'll do amazingly well and that the children in Okoa will be off better for you being part of their lives.
Much love,
Dad

 
At 4:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Adrianne, This is from Susan McCarty. Your mom and dad told Mark about this site. How great for you that you are serving in Tonga. I am so happy for you. I know you will work hard and learn so much and have a wonderful experience. What an adventure! Love, Susan
P.S. Let me know if you need a care package! My email is rocknrollmom2004@yahoo.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home