9/19/2004

Back In Homestay

I've jumped right back into my old bedroom. My previous family has graciously welcomed me back into their home. With this comes some great perks:
* I'm back to cold showers and using the outhouse. I find it odd that the entire culture is so adament about covering up their entire body with appropriate clothes, yet everyone in my village walks from the bath house to their home in practically nothing.
* Sharing a home with such a large family has also brought lice back into my life. My sisters spent an afternoon picking through my hair. Once they found a bug, they put it in their mouth and bite it so as not to have it infest others heads. Once I get to my own home I will do the American treatment of shampoo. There is no point in doing anything now, but damn it itches.
* Another joy is my lack of privacy. My family was watching another Indian movie for the 7th time so I went to my room, put on my headphones and did some reading. Five times different family members and neighbors peeked their head in my window to make sure I wasn't loonley. Sweet yet tiresome. Good thing my new place will be on the second floor.

Life is always busy here at my little dot on the map. My village is hard at work trying to get my housing done. I laugh when I think of all the little oddities of life here.
My little seven year old brother drove up to the house in the family station wagon all by himself. I didn't even think that his feet reached the pedals.
My 13 year old brother is a fakalati (boy that acts like a girl) and dances around the living room to Indian music.
I served Kava for a Kalapo (Fund Raiser) for the youth of our village. We raised $360 pa'anga which was great for the community.

Time is running out. Due to budget cuts, here at the Peace Corps office in Vava'u we are loosing our access to the internet. I will be using an internet cafe, which adds up the costs. My goal is to post once a week.

I love you all and miss you greatly.
Adrianne

1 Comments:

At 11:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Adrianne,

Sounds like things are going fab back in Vava'u. Hopefully the weather there is better than here as it hasn't stopped raining....well one day it did but I spent the whole day anticipating the rain I couldn't fully enjoy the day:)

You're mom emailed me and I wanted to say thanks but I didn't have her email address. Tell her thanks and let her know I'm loving the PCV life and all that comes with it. Have fun in Vava'u and say hi to everyone for me.

Randi

 

Post a Comment

<< Home