10/07/2004

Mind and Body

I continue to battle with being sick (Bronchitis). I haven't posted about it because I didn't feel it was a big deal, but I know Mom and Dad want an update. This past week I was having trouble breathing after coughing fits. Yes - I've been going to the doctor and Yes - I will be fine. I've been on an anti-biotic and I'm starting to see an improvement. It only happens maybe twice a day now.

Emotional ups and downs have begun. I get frustrated some times when I can't get my thoughts out. It's nice once in a while to just speak english. I'm trying to manage, but once in a while I just want to scream. I'm trying to get used to the loss of some of my freedoms. I'm used to going when and where I want - not the case here. But - so is life.

I ventured out with a woman from the governors office, Ofa, to begin a survey of disabilities in Vava'u. The goal is to first identify needs and then progress to meeting those needs. My language barrier is tremendous so I was so glad that Ofa was there to lead the way. We visited twelve homes on our first day. I can't tell you how fortunate I feel in my life. Some of these homes were absolutely filthy and run down with holes in the roofs, walls, and floors. No one in Tonga is starving, but the standard of living is appalling. On the other side of my experience touring the villages, I met some of the most wonderful people. There is a woman along my bike route to work that is Deaf and Mute, who is able to lip read. She was the happiest lady with a bright smile and I told her that I would make it a point to stop by and visit with her. I met a man who worked with the Tongan Defense that has traveled many times to America. Now he suffers from a mental disorder and babbles in both Tongan and English. I met a woman with diabetes who is unable to use her legs. She crawls around her home to the bathroom and washroom and never leaves her home. I think we can get her a wheelchair to at least begin to improve things in her life. Anyway – this was a taste of my day. I just wanted to share and let you all know that I feel like I'm doing some good work here.

'Oku ou ofa lahi atu. 'Oku ou faka'amu 'oku mou sai.
I miss you all greatly. Hope everyone is well.
Love you all,
Adrianne

2 Comments:

At 10:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Adrianne—you know mom and I love you much. Reading your post tonight let me add that we both are very proud: proud for your perseverance, proud for your caring, proud for you sharing your love and convictions with the Tongans. Stay well, stay focused, stay true. Much love, Dad

 
At 12:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Adrianne,

Yes, I feel your frustrations as I think some or even many of us group 67 have been having our first real frustrations in the last week or two. Right now I'm dealing with waiting until I turn blue in the face...waiting for people to show up to meetings or whatever. But so far I have been doing a lot of waiting and trynig to get my youth psyched, about something as I don't really care what it is as long as they are excited.

Keep up the good work and good luck on the house. I guess the next time I want to complain about the filth in my house, I will remember "at least I have a house.":)

Say hi to everyone for me and hopefully I'll talk to you soon.

Randi

 

Post a Comment

<< Home