10/31/2004

Settling In

Developing a routine for my daily life has been an interesting challenge. I can’t believe how spoiled I’ve been and how it is easy to take the small things for granted. My house is wonderful and I’m loving the trial and error process of figuring out how to clean and take care of my little abode.
I made my broom this week. Yes – Made. I had one of the guys climb a coconut tree and collect the leaves. Then I peeled the leaves so that only the center “switch” remains. I then took a stick and peeled off the bark. I duck taped the bristles to the stick and POOF I have a broom. It looks like the perfect witches flying broom and my floor looks fantastic.
It has been a bit of a struggle to figure out the most efficient way to do my dishes. I started off carrying the dirty dishes to the other side of my neighbors house to a little spigot. I brought one bucket for washing and one for rinsing. My 70 year old neighbor saw me struggling and attempted to help me. We had a twenty minute conversation and I understood about three things. She was telling me to use to rain water tank and do my dishes in my house. Through the actions of charades I now have a system. I use my water jug to then fill up my garbage can (now my water storage). I keep this in my house to use for dishes, drinking water, laundry, washing my face, and brushing my teeth. This makes everything a little easier.
My house has become community central. If my doors are open then my house is free game for visitors. Consider that it is hot here and my doors need to stay open for a nice breeze. Youth (ages 15-35) just come in, sit down on my floor and chill. It doesn’t seem to matter if I’m sleeping, reading, or doing my dishes. They just seem to want to keep me company. I think it is kind of sweet actually. My village is not used to women living alone and they don’t want me to be lonely. I’m getting used to having people in my house. At least I have some time alone.
Everything else seems to be going well. I’m busy doing workshops and relaxing and the beach. Life is good.
Thank you all for the letters and packages. It means so much to me to hear from everyone. Keep them coming.
Love,
Adrianne

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home