1/24/2005

Faka’uha

Let me give you a recent taste of my own personal heaven:

Sitting in my tiny brown barn, both doors opened so the sound of the rain pouring down echoed from the roof. I sat on the floor with a huge bowl of warm Cincinnati Chili in my lap. I had a hot cup of Chai Tea sitting next to me. My smile couldn’t be contained.
That's one of the reasons I'm doing this experience. A simple moment where I have time to count my blessings. A rainy day that many would consider a waste becomes a source of happiness.

The rain has become a never-ending part of reality. The mud is everywhere inside and outside of my house. By the time I walk to my house after taking a shower my legs are full of mud again. This is where faka'uha comes into play. It means showering/playing in the rain. Everyone will run outside in their clothes and proceed to sing and play. They then head down to the little bridge and go for a swim in the rain. It's a way of embracing nature. Sometimes this is fun, but I'll admit it has gotten a little old. I'm going to admit something now that I might regret at a later time: I peed in a bowl in my house then threw it out the back door (twice). It was late at night and the rain was pouring down. I felt limited in my options. I'm somewhat proud of this decision yet a little embarrassed. I think that now I am a true Peace Corps Volunteer.

The phones have been down, here in Tonga, for the past week. This has made contact with the outside world a royal pain. Along with the phone lines, all Internet has ceased to work. Good old Snail Mail has been a savior. Thanks everyone for the letters and packages.

Just a little side note - I ate pig brain.
Not the best thing I've ever had, but definitely something worth trying. This is all about new experiences. Right?

Happy Birthday to Cathy and Kirstin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
My love is being shipped over the Pacific right to your doorstep. I wish I could celebrate with you both, but there is time for that in the future. Have an amazing day.

Love you all,
Adrianne

PS - This is long PS, but it all happened after I wrote this original post and thought it worthy of adding.
My village is crazy.
I had another town meeting last night in which I was put on trial for all my actions or lack there of. The reasons were petty, but the feelings behind them were not. The town hall was filled with people I didn't even think lived in my village. Also people were sitting outside listening and peeking in the windows. I am the entertainment.
Being female, my village does not like me dating and proceeded to question every part of my life. I refuse to live here for two years in a bubble. I was also questioned about my work progress. They did not see progress BECAUSE THEIR EYES ARE CLOSED. I happily explained to them all the details of my work and they were then satisfied. I handled myself with dignity although I really just wanted to blow my top and call them on all the things they do that make no sense. I had my supervisor there to help me translate and provide moral support. He was great. At the end of the meeting my youth president made a formal apology and all seems to be well. I feel a little rocky about the whole thing and am going to be walking on egg shells the next few weeks. "Mother village" is always watching.
As you can tell by my tone, the whole situation was a little intense for me. I am growing more than I ever thought I would on this journey.



1 Comments:

At 4:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Adrianne, I know I havent responded in a while but honeslty I am really proud of you. Stay strong. You have all the support of us here at home and I am really impressed with how you are handeling yourself.
I love you and miss you.
Gillian
Oh by the way, I would have peed in a bowl long before you did. You held out.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home