1/02/2005

Uike Lotu

Happy New Year Everyone!!!!!

Time seems to stand still here, but I do realize that it is already 2005. I'm going to be finished here before I know it. Let's not think about that now.

My kayak trip was fantastic. We traveled to many of the outer islands and the entire time I just kept saying to myself - "I live here." I feel so privileged. By the way - Thank you for your tax dollars. We traveled in two-person kayaks and camped on the beaches. We went on some great hikes and went snorkeling everyday. There were a couple of days with some rough waves and my muscles paid the price, but I had so much fun that it was worth it. I think I'm a little more buff than I was before I left. While on the trip I heard the news of the disaster. My thoughts and prayers go out to all everyone.

Life back in my village:
Uike Lotu - Week of Prayer
Yes it seems like every week has a title. This week I was going to try and hide out, but I now feel like I should participate in all the events. For the entire week church begins at 5:00 in the morning and is followed by a huge feast at 6:00. When I say a huge feast - I truly mean food that you shouldn't be eating at 6:00 in the morning without begging for heartburn. Then everyone relaxes for the day. Then church again at 6:00 in the evening followed by another feast at 7:00. I now know why this country in hugely overweight. Each family has the responsibility of preparing one of the meals for the week. My host family prepared my first feast and all the women stayed up the entire night. While we all ate these women sat on the side of the hall and watched with glazed looks in their eyes. As a reward for their hard work they got to eat the leftovers. Speeches flowed and I sat and smiled while I understood very little of what was being said about God. I do know that it must have been important because everyone was crying. At the time of writing this I've only made it through day one of the feasts. I hope I can make it through this entire week.

Lots more to say, but time is precious. At least the time that I have to pay to use the internet.
I love you all and hope everyone has had a great start to the New Year.

Adrianne

2 Comments:

At 11:00 PM, Blogger D said...

Happy New Year mate,

Hope you'll see the time moving pretty soon. In a positive way, of course.
Cheers,
D

 
At 8:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

There is precious little at 6 AM that would get a reaction from me. I can't imagine a big meal! No wonder they rest afterwards. It sounds like a place with a very different sense of time. Hang in there...this week too, shall pass. So glad to hear the kayaking was great! We were in Portland with Jason, Lori and Oakley for New Year's Eve...we all woke up with the fireworks at midnight. Woo hoo :> All our love and energy, Jeanne and Pieter

 

Post a Comment

<< Home