2/17/2005

Afa - Cyclone

The cyclone that was…..
But was not in Vava’u.

Tuesday I was laying on a mat in my yard watching some youth play volleyball, when out of the trees came the Peace Corps (PC) vehicle. I was informed we had to consolidate. In PC terms this means gather up the troops and head for the Mormon Church. The Mormon churches are the only buildings in Tonga built to American standards so we have some type of deal worked out allowing us to crash there. I had five minutes to pack up my stuff and hop in the truck. All 10 volunteers living in Vava’u crashed on the floor in three office rooms at the church. We waited for this horrendous wind to begin, but only a few raindrops fell. After a whole lot of nothing we grew tired and irritable. After two nights we got the all clear to head back to our villages. I survived to tell this story, which is a blessing in itself. I know I shouldn’t be sarcastic, but how would you feel after two nights in a Mormon church with no real threat? On the plus side of this whole experience, I had two nights in cool air conditioning. And I also realized that next time it might be important to take my Passport with me in emergencies. So…I learn from every new experience.

Hope everyone is safe.
Love,
Adrianne

1 Comments:

At 7:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"...how would you feel after two nights in a Mormon church with no real threat?"Like two nights in a Catholic church with no real guilt?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home