7/10/2005

Another Putu

July 4th in the States is celebration of our independence. Here in Tonga, it is celebration for the Kings Birthday. The big party actually happens down in Tongatapu, the capital, but we had our own little celebration here in Vava’u. A few of us volunteers went out to a little resort island, Mala, and had a private party. An enjoyable part of the evening was blaring music of our choice while jumping on a trampoline embedded in a sand pit. The owner is known for being very generous to Peace Corps Volunteers so we stayed in a few rooms complimentary. Right now the King is staying at that same resort. He is having a weekend with 40 of his closest college buddies. I’m sure he’s getting his room complimentary as well.

My HIV/AIDS Grant has received approval with little time to spare. The money will be sent Western Union to me Today (Monday) and all the action takes place on Wednesday. The day will be full of radio spots, drama presentations and information overload all pertaining to AIDS education. It is part of an activity full Youth Week that will be a blast.

Now for the other news that is twisting things up in my little island in the South Pacific. My Town Officer died. I feel like my village has been in perpetual mourning. I put on my black clothes and went to the hospital the other night for a prayer service. I saw the freezer where they keep the bodies and I stood there with both curiosity and bewilderment. The freezer is in a room with a surgery table and the room has a door to outside where all the people sit in the grass. The family covers the table with tapa and mats and then the body is displayed (while still wrapped in white cloth). I was not a huge fan of the Town Officer, but seeing all his children crying definitely puts things in perspective. It was quite a sight to see all the people load on the bus with their mats filling up all the space. The immediate family rides in a pick up truck because they wear the huge mats from head to toe. I’m now comfortable with the funerals here and I enjoy all the tradition (not so much kissing the body). I went to the cemetery for the burial, which was a nice service with tons of people. On the way back to my house I passed a huge truck, where a gentleman handed me a 2 kilo plastic bag of raw meat. This was apparently a hot commodity because everyone was trying to scam bags and bags. I later found out it contained horse, pig, and lamb. Needless to say I gave mine to my neighbor to cook and I ate a little in a Sunday umu.

Happy Birthday Marin!!!!
I wish I was there to witness your growth, but at least I know you’re surrounded by a pack of people who love you.

Love,
Adrianne

2 Comments:

At 11:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was 12 of the King's College buddies and hangers on (27 all up)and they went for lunch only. Paid for by the Gov. of Vava'us office.

From Deep Throat......

 
At 9:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love your blog and look forward to your reports. saw your Dad this week and he is really pumped to see you in New Zealand.
Love
www.rootsap.us

 

Post a Comment

<< Home