6/30/2005

Faka’ofa

Success with the fundraising last weekend has got me feeling pretty good.
$200 for our Koniseti
$183 for our Kalapu.
And it doesn’t stop there. My youth voted to keep the ball rolling so my weekends are looking a little busier. Everything seems to be on the upswing.

My major project in my village has been to rebuild our Town Hall and include a computer center in the process. This has been a huge sore in my side, but with the start of fundraising it may actually happen before my 2 years are finished. This week I submitted a grant to attempt to get my village a few nice computers and a printer. My fingers were crossed when I emailed the proposal and faxed the invoices. Now I wait.

On a personal note, my vegetable garden is pretty sad. I found little bugs infecting my seeds that have refused to sprout. I just want to grow some squash, how hard is that? Where is my brother with his green thumb anyway? Well - I’m not giving up. I’m starting round two with vengeance.

When my neighbors left town for a month, they moved all their baby pigs to another house for care. The mother pig was left to fend for herself. I have come to take pity on this pig, therefore naming her Faka’ofa (sad, pitiful). I have been giving it scraps of food which has led to a decent rapport between us. The other day I came home with a bag of good smelling food. As I was stepping into my house, Faka’ofa jumps my fence to come get her portion. I was under the impression that my fence was pig proof so I became a little short tempered with the beast. I got my broom and chased her around my yard until she figured her best option was to exit quickly by jumping over the fence again. My other neighbors were highly amused by the whole situation.
This morning - Faka’ofa stood outside the fence and grunted until I gave her a scrap of food. Pigs can be trained quickly or maybe it’s humans- I don’t know which.

Love,
Adrianne

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home