6/02/2005

Kakau o’ fakafepaki’i ‘a e ‘au

Swimming against the current:
Kakau o’ fakafepaki’i ‘a e ‘au:

Literally – I went diving this past week and it was amazing. The current was intense but it made the dive even more enjoyable. I swam down this chimney-like rock that brought me to a depth of 26.5 meters (87.5 feet). The fish and the coral were beautiful. I’m lucky to be in such an amazing environment that allows me to experience such exquisite splendor.

Figuratively – Battling with my village about moving forward in a semi productive state has been difficult. I came to a point last week where I felt defeated. I’m satisfied with the disabilities program and helping at the primary school, but my youth group sure lacks energy. I’ve been pushing and pushing while only receiving blank stares (I know my language isn’t that bad).

I think the current is shifting...

I sat down and had a talk with my youth president. I detailed my disappointment (Tongans don’t like any type of confrontation) because I need change to happen. I threatened to leave Okoa and work in another village. The talk and threat seemed to have done the trick – at least for the time being. My youth President is stepping down and we will have new leadership next week. We also have begun the necessary fund raising to get working on rebuilding our town hall. There are many details that still need to be worked out, but I’m now happily swimming along.

Along with the whole water theme was a trip to the beach with my disabilities group. It was nice to have fun in a new environment. We enjoyed lunch and some sporting events with a beach ball. I get so much satisfaction out of that once a week program. I hope our participants feel the same.

Big news!!!!!
My pig fence is officially effective. Previously I had fencing, but it did not fully encircle my home. With the additional wood hurdle to get to the toilet, I now have a pig free residence. Talks of banana trees, papaya trees, and a vegetable garden are in the works.

Happy Birthday Joel!!! You are missed greatly.

Love to you all,
Adrianne

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home