5/05/2005

Keke Kuma

Day 1 – Come home in the evening to find a bold kuma (mouse) climbing around the kitchen. He made daring leaps from the radio over to the fridge. The broom that came flying down made him scurry, but did not change his determination. After he ran out the door, he peeked back in for a glance at his new home.

Day 2 – A purchase of keke kuma (rat cake = rat poison) was made at the local store with a guarantee that these are powerful and will do the trick. After returning from the store, the kuma was spotted again dashing about the house. The keke was placed in two prime locations. During the night loud crashes were heard along with pitter-patter footsteps.

Day 3 – The keke was gone in the morning. I thought the entire escapade was over until I saw the kuma scatter into my bedroom just as I was getting ready to go to sleep.

Day 4 – I’m tired. I hate mice. I’m deciding on more drastic measures.

The business workshop was a success and now I’m attending a Future Farmers Workshop to support a neighboring youth group. It addresses new farming techniques and some basic principles for expanding local farming into a business that produces a profit. The workshop is wonderful for the people who are attending. Too bad the youth I am supposed to be helping haven’t made it a priority to make it there. They’ve continually been a pain in the rear, but I keep trying.

My youth group has been moving slowly, but I feel like we are on the verge of some enthusiasm. I’ve been pushing and pushing and am now trying to get the Town Officer involved to push my Youth President a little more. In my opinion they all need a little shove. I’m probably going to need one here eventually myself.

Next week is the huge Tongan Church Conference. This means people from all over Tonga will be coming to Vava’u to eat. Overseas families send containers full of food to help in the process. I’ve already been given canned food, potatoes, noodles, and a 12 pack of toilet paper. They also send tons of money, which gets a little out of control. The amount of money that gets transferred is ridiculous. I’m kind of excited to get to witness this event. I should have some good stories later.

Stay well.
Love,
Adrianne

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home