6/16/2005

Ikai - NO

The rumor that the King had died is false.
I was on pins and needles for a little while thinking that all the gossip was true. Not only would it be devastating for the country because the Crown Prince is known as a less than desirable leader, but also for my work. When the King does pass away the country will officially mourn for a year. This means that everyone will wear black, music will stop (except church songs), dancing will cease, and many events will be cancelled. I don’t believe this will really last a year in this day and age, but I know that all my youth activities will be affected in some ways. Announcements were made on the radio clearing the rumors, because on an island this size word of mouth travels fast.

I felt my first earthquake the other day (5.7).
The ground shook and I grabbed onto the doorway that I happened to be standing in. It was a small one only lasting 5 seconds or so, but it made me think. I’m on a little island in the middle of the South Pacific. Am I safe? Then I realized that natural disasters can hit anywhere, just in different forms. So I think again - I’m on a small island in the South Pacific; this is exactly where I want to be.

I’m having difficulty with the word NO (Ikai). Not that I don’t know what it means, but I don’t understand why people here have trouble saying it. Instead of my youth organizing a Koniseti (fund raising concert) and canceling it at the last minute, my Town Officer could have said NO. He could have said it was a bad week and that next week would be better. Instead he told us that it was fine and then literally minutes before it was to begin, he said “Rest tonight.” My youth took it in stride, while I vented in private. This type of thing happens frequently here. I found a girl hiding in the back of a car instead of saying that she didn’t want the youth group to use her stereo for an event. I find all this odd, but I’m not quite sure how to handle it all. Any ideas?

That’s the news for now.
Love you,
Adrianne

1 Comments:

At 5:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Morning Adrianne:

It is 5:30 and mom is still sleeping. In a few minutes, shower, load the car, head for the airport, and Cancun. I was just checking morning mail. Then, before shutting down did a quick check of the news. That is when I read this article. Yes, you are on a little island where people cannot say no. On the other hand, you could be on another little island where no means nothing. Do great things!
Love you much, Dad

Peace Corps Suspends Haiti Operations
Jun 16,10:02 PM ET
The Peace Corps has suspended operations in Haiti and evacuated its 16 volunteers because of increasing violence, officials said Thursday, even as gunmen wounded two U.N. peacekeepers during a shootout in a slum.
The withdrawal comes three weeks after the State Department warned Americans against traveling to Haiti and ordered nonessential U.S. personnel to leave. All 16 volunteers left Haiti earlier this week, Peace Corps spokeswoman Barbara Daly said.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home