4/07/2006

Polopolo


Mom's trip ended with some relaxation and some amazing meals that will last me until September. Reflecting over the 3 weeks I have only humerous and enjoyable memories. Mom's last weekend we spent a day in the bush for the polopolo (harvesting of crops). A piece of land on which the village share crops was filled with families for the day. While the men dug out the root crops, the women cooked food in an umu (earth oven). Mom and I had the luxury of resting under a mango tree and strolling around to check out various families' crops before eating a delicious umu meal. I think Mom got a real taste of Tongan life.

Now, although life in Tonga is slow, it is never boring. I came here to get away from drama, but I always find myself mixed in the middle of it. The latest is that I'm getting the boot from my current house. As I've stated before, my neighbor and I are not the best of friends. Well, he is getting married next month and wants to live in my house. Since it belongs to his family I have no real say in the situation. So I've put feelers out among the community and have found a new house. The family that lives there is out of town for a few months so I will take up residency there until the end of my service in September. I'm viewing this change as positive although it is causing a rift between the village. He said - she said - this church treats her like this - that one acts like that. I'm just happy to finally have amy own shower and toilet. The move will take place in the next week so I hope all goes smooth.

Mom - thanks for the adventure.

Love to all,
Adrianne

1 Comments:

At 7:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi...my name is ai, and im going to be in nukualofa, tonga...im from hawaii, and im getting married next month and that is the reason why im going. Im very happy about it but at the same time just scared...!! Im not a US citizen and i was told that i wont be able to come back to the us if i was to be living in tonga for a year...and my fiancee lives in tonga and wants me to live with him there...i really hope everything will work out...heres the catch...i only met him a month ago when i went to go visit my fathers family in america samoa....anyways, i just had to get that off my chest and im really overjoyed to see your page on the internet, it makes me feel relieve to know more about the lifestyle there in tonga....Nice Page....!!!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home