2/27/2006

Fai 'aho - Birthdays










The past week was a chance to celebrate life. Not only was it Derek and Dad’s birthdays, but two new babies were born in my village. The 22nd was also one of my favorite little guy’s 1st birthday. Tongans are typically not big on celebrating birthdays except for the 1st. I spent the day at the family’s home to help with food preparation because a party really just means a big feast. Okay – they really didn’t let me help with the food, but I was the nanny for the day, which was help in its own way. The amount of food was amazing. I ate during the first round with elders and kids (I took my plastic bag for leftovers). Round two came the men, followed by the women cleaning plates so that nothing was left.

Along with all this celebrating I have felt a definite shift in my mood. Maybe it’s because I’ve started exercising again. Maybe because Mom is coming soon. Maybe because I’m amazed that I’ve been here long enough to see children born, grow, walk, and even talk. Maybe because on many days this place feels like home.

Love you all,

Adrianne

1 Comments:

At 10:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your insights are wonderful.

Thank you......... thank you

 

Post a Comment

<< Home