7/26/2006

Ta'ahine Pele

I’ve had a bit of a bumpy road the past few days, but mixed in where some amusing moments that make me love this beautiful country of Tonga.

I left my house the other night and was gone approximately 1 ½ hours. Upon my return I noticed things were in disarray and stuff was missing. Yes, my house was broken into and things taken, one of them being my digital camera. So no more photos on my posts – sorry.

My neighbor told me to go to the police and report it right away so I had Tevita give me a lift to his home. After much casual conversation and much persuasion the officer agreed to come to my house and check things out. He then informed me that he had no gas in the police car so he hopped into Tevita’s van to travel to Okoa to do his investigation. This “investigation” turned out to be a stroll around my house with a flashlight accompanied by some more casual conversation, but I was told not to worry because he was the best. After twenty minutes we dropped the police officer off back at his house a few villages over. He seemed to be a bit exhausted by all the hard work.

The next morning my neighbor insisted I go to the ta’ahine pele (woman with the cards). I wasn’t sure what the neighbor was talking about, but I jumped in the car anyway and made the trip to the other side of the island. We arrived to a hall made of tin where a group of women were weaving. I was told to shuffle the cards according to the number of letters in my name. Then the reader placed them in a specific arrangement and gave me the details of the burglary. I was told it was two boys who broke into my house, one being the brother of a good girlfriend. She said the boys were scared right now and the truth would come out soon. I was also told they will come to apologize to me in two days.

Upon my return to the village everyone wanted to hear about what the cards ‘said.’ Some people had full faith in the cards while others were interested, but not true believers. I’m in the category of a 'not a true believer', but somehow I find myself leaning towards accepting the statements as genuine.

In the village rumors have spread as to the identity of the person(s), but no arrests as to date. I’m still waiting for the apology.

Due to all this commotion the Peace Corps has decided to move me out of my village and into a guest house near town, there to spend the remainder of my short time here. I have mixed feelings because of the suddenness of the move. It was hard to say goodbye to neighbors and friends, but I told then all that I would come over and see them often until I leave in just over a month. So now – I’m a city girl. Well, maybe semi-city.

Stay safe.
Love,
Adrianne

2 Comments:

At 8:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hence the expression, "its all in the cards"

 
At 4:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tell the police officer you'll offer a reward for the safe return of the camera, no questions asked, and spread the rumour that the camera is useless without the software & download cable & computer.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home